Lunchbox Series – Mung “Kachumber” Salad
Tried this protein packed recipe for our lunchbox today. I call this a kachumber as it has the onion tomatoes and cucumber though I did lightly stir fry this to bring all the ingredients together. You may just make this as a raw salad as well, leave the oil and seasoning out.
I packed his as an accompaniment to a mixed salad that had all the colors of the rainbow along with a creamy mustard dressing. (Recipe below)
- 100 grms or 1 bowl Moong sprouts
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 1 carrot, 1/4 cabbage, 1 capsicum finely chopped or shredded
- 1 cucumber finely chopped
- 2 green chillies crushed
- Bunch cilantro finely chopped
- 1tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp asafetida or hing
- Salt to taste or jiralu powder
- 1/2 tsp kitchen king masala or garam masala
- Take a pan or a kadhai, Add 1 tsp olive oil.
- When it’s hot add mustard seeds and let it sizzle and pop
- Now add the asafetida.
- Add the chopped onion and lightly sauté till transparent.
- Add the cabbage and bell pepper and let half cook i.e it should still be crunchy. Add cucumber and carrot. Sauté for about a minute more.
- Add the crushed green chilies and salt to taste.
- Switch off the heat and stir everything till well mixed.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro. This can also be eaten with hot rotis or by itself as a mid afternoon or morning snack.
And here’s the salad that went with it in the lunchbox.
Whisk all the above in a small bowl with a fork or a small whisk. You can store this for about 3-5 days in the fridge.